There’s no doubt that yoga has unprecedentedly become popular as the rise and the demand to de-stress, relax, and rejuvenate becomes a necessity. Like any popular activity or trend, yoga has also fallen victim to various myths and misconceptions that makes some people doubt the benefits and the essence of this practice.
Alan Steelman, a 76 year old certified yoga instructor, a former member of the Congress, and an author of the book, Yoga on the Yellow Brick Road, dispelled the myths and misconceptions and shares the truths about yoga in an article published by Healthy Living Magazine.
Healthy Living Magazine is unique in a sea of health magazines that only present information on nutrition and exercise. Healthy Living goes much further by focusing on the four pillars of a true wellness — physical, mental, spiritual and financial health.
According to Alan, we have been blessed at birth with a pharmacy in the brain. The four “feel-good chemicals” – endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin, and serotonin, are available to all of us and can be accessed on a continuing basis through a consistent practice of mindful movement – yoga and meditation.
However, due to some misconceptions and stereotyping, yoga and meditation are seen as an activity of only for the super fit female, doing different body contortions, which is far from the truth. The truth is: Yoga is for everyone! Yoga is for men and women. Yoga is for the young and the young once!
To enlighten more about yoga, Alan also shared yoga teachings and gospels:
- If you can breathe, you can do yoga! It’s the breathing, not doing the pose correctly, that counts.
- Do only what you can; never go past your limit. Pay no attention to others in the class.
- Mindful breathing is the Yellow Brick Road, your own path to a calm mind.
- The time is always NOW! Forget yesterday or tomorrow.
- MAKE time for health now or find time for illness later.
- Your own natural brain chemicals are wizards. Pills, alcohol, food, shopping is as false as the Wizard of Oz was.
- Fitness is mind, body, and spirit, not just physical.
- Commit to consistent practice, the “monkey brain” never takes a break. We’re all born with a ruminating brain.
- First and foremost, seek a calm mind, and then strength, balance, and flexibility.
- You are not your age! Stop the limiting self-talk!
Passionately sharing his hope to inspire “unconverted” about the healing power of yoga and meditation, especially those who are mostly men, African-Americans, Hispanics, seniors, and kids/teens/college age students, Alan has also written, Yoga on the Yellow Brick Road and has recently launched his podcast Exiting the A.S.A.P Lane!
Step on to that mat, be enlightened, and know the truth about yoga HERE.
Thanks for sharing the truths and dispelling the myths about yoga, Alan! Congratulations on this media success!
Healthy Living promotes a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle with easy-to-read features, try-it-at-home exercise programs, and expert advice from financial planners, mental health professionals, and a variety of other leaders in their respective fields. Visit www.lakehealthyliving.com.