In a world spinning fast – and faster with each passing day – what’s old is new again.
We’ve certainly seen evidence of that in the fashion world. Likewise in popular culture circles. How many times have you heard a new song and thought the ‘hook’ sounds so familiar? That’s because it is familiar, having been ‘borrowed’ from a song of your youth.
What’s old is new again has an application in the marketing universe as well. For all the startling advances that have been made in how we communicate our message to our target audience, the intimacy, and impact, of the face-to-face encounter remains a very attractive option.
Yes, your marketing strategy – the anchor of how you sell yourself, your expertise and your product – must take advantage of all opportunities to do so, such as a wide-ranging and consistent social media presence. That is absolutely essential. But if you haven’t built in time for in-person appearances, you’re selling yourself short. You’re missing out on a very effective marketing opportunity.
Take the example of Apple Incorporated.
Each time the California-based multinational technology company launches a new product, it does so in very dramatic fashion before a live audience. Founders Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne set that course early on and current CEO Tim Cook has continued the tradition. Why? A live Apple product launch event creates a buzz that is unparalleled in terms of the excitement it creates. With worldwide revenues totalling $229 billion in its 2017 fiscal year, Apple is ridiculously successful. It could launch its products via social and traditional media only and do extremely well. Still, it continues to see the value derived from hosting a live big splash event.
While hugely successful enterprises such as Apple have the unlimited resources required to host a dazzling live product launch event that garners the rapt attention of media organizations from around the globe, there is one element that is common with a more subdued event that you host – it brings people together for the common purpose of not only learning more about your book and buying a copy but also to meet, in the flesh, the person behind the name on your book cover. That is undeniably powerful and effective.
Before we examine the benefits of hosting a live event, and there are many, some thoughts on what sort of things you need to do before your event is staged.
We’ve noted that while social media doesn’t provide the intimacy of a live event, social media is absolutely vital in getting people excited about your event and, as such, attend. Keep in mind you don’t need a huge budget to spread word and create buzz around your live event. Like most anything, if you invest time and effort, you will reap a huge reward.
- The cornerstone of all your promotional efforts should be the creation and publishing of an event page or website dedicated solely to your event. Make it compelling by incorporating some or all of these elements – a compelling description of your event, speaker photos and biographies, event-themed videos, and most importantly, a ‘Register Now’ button.
- Send pre-event emails. If you lack your own list, ask friends to list the event in their own emails. Make the email subject line exciting and engaging. Be as specific as possible. Send on the weekend. People may feel less stressed and more open to spending a few hours at your event. If you have positive feedback from a previous similar event, make sure the review is included in the email. Lastly, send the email several times. Make sure you emphasize any available ‘early bird’ registration discount.
- Utilize all your social media channels to spread word of your event, and do so again and again.
- Send a news release to media and industry websites. Don’t neglect notifying industry and trade associations as well as many have newsletters. Make sure you get your announcement early enough so they can use it. Send a press release to your local newspaper(s), and radio and TV stations. And don’t forget to inform popular bloggers.
Congratulations! You’ve decided to host a live event. Promoting it has taken a bit of work but rest assured the pay-off will be huge in terms of the benefits derived.
TARINEE SAWETNAPHANON: Life Coach and Speaker Has Clearly Reaped Numerous Benefits from Hosting Her Own Events
On a mission to share her wisdom and experiences to help others discard their emotional baggage en route to finding inner peace and happiness, life coach and speaker Tarinee Sawetnaphanon organized and hosted an event titled Self Reflection: The First Step to Achieve Happiness, Heath, & Wealth.
That gathering brought together moms and moms-to-be looking to improve their lives by being happier with themselves as well as in their relationships, and to live a life that is healthier, both physically and mentally.
While relatively new to speaking and coaching, Tarinee, the author of SINGLE Mum And Happy! How To Get Your Life Back and Build A Perfect World For You and Your Kids, is excited to share her message.
- Pick and stick to a firm date. This will make you commit and focus.
- Give yourself time to promote your event.
- Decide what you want to achieve from the event.
- Determine who your ideal clients are and what social platforms they’re active on.
- Create an event marketing campaign geared toward your audience.
- Book a venue based on the number of expected people and the facilities required.
- Set the time of your event based on your target audience’s availability.
- Launch a marketing campaign geared to both social and traditional media.
- Monitor the results of your campaign, adapting and changing your message as needed.
- Keep the momentum going on your marketing campaign.
- Arrange for your friends and family to help you at your event.
- Arrange for a photographer.
- Prepare any content you plan to share.
- Envision yourself at your event and practice your ‘pitch’.
- Get to the venue early to prepare.
- Put your helpers in place and tell them their roles.
- Start your event and enjoy!
- Take lots of photos and shoot videos.
- Tell attendees what you would like them to do post-event, such as visit your website to download your book, join your Facebook group, and/or register for a consultation.
- Ask for testimonials.
- Follow-up with those who registered for post-event support.
- Post your photos, videos, and testimonials on your website and social media platforms.
According to Tarinee, hosting events has significantly boosted her credibility and confidence. As well, she has grown her coaching business and secured many new clients as well as earned more speaking engagements and interviews.
Tarinee’s commitment and focus is so inspiring! Congratulations!
SAZINI NZULA: Embraced A Unique Way of Making Her Book Launch Event a Flourishing Success!
As a coach and founder of Dr. Sazini Consulting, autism consultant and speaker Dr. Sazini Nzula, PhD strives to inspire parents to discover healthy perceptions of their families, her goal being to develop them as confident and knowledgeable experts who can guide their child, and family, towards living the life they’ve always imagined.
Last April, Dr. Nzula hosted her book launch event to celebrate her recently published book, Beautiful, Inside and Out: What You Ought to Know about Autism (How to Embrace the Unique Way Your Child Is Flourishing).
“I do events so I can meet with my clients and the people who have supported me along the way,” says Dr. Nzula. “I did the ‘Beautiful, Inside and Out’ book launch event because I wanted to celebrate the book and the stories it tells. The launch was successful beyond my expectations.”
Dr. Nzula says she secured new clients at the event as well as received new opportunities to speak. A friend who attended posted live to Facebook, drawing a lot of interest.
“It wasn’t easy to put together… at one point, I doubted the work I was putting in would be worth it,” admits Dr. Nzula.
The rewards of hosting her book launch event have been clear with Dr. Nzula noting she has been “very busy” since.
“Hosting events is a great way to meet your tribe, and to generate new leads for speaking and securing new clients. It may seem like it’s not worth it when you are putting in a lot of work but you will be thankful that you did. Hosting an event opens doors for you in ways you could not have imagined.“
Check out one of Dr. Nzula’s videos of her Beautiful, Inside and Out event via Facebook.
Well done, Dr. Sazini! Your event was not only “beautiful, inside and out” but also totally impressive!
For all the success your book has brought you, there’s no denying there’s something beyond its pages that is catching, and keeping, people’s attention. That something is you.
Your passion for your subject matter, your enthusiasm for sharing your knowledge and insight, your desire to make the world a better place for all whose lives your words touch – these attributes draw others to you. While social media presents an unparalleled opportunity to spread your message far and wide, hosting a live event provides the equally incomparable chance to make new contacts, build on existing relationships, and open the door wide to new opportunities.
Hosting a live event sets you apart on a very crowded landscape. It shows you have the confidence to get out from behind your writing desk and be the best you can be in a setting where networking is the name of the game. In addition, you will stand out as the hosting of live events is rare in a world gone mad with social media interactions.
The benefits of hosting a live event, as reviewed in this edition of The Power of Performance Newsletter, are simply too good to ignore. For sure, hosting a live event takes a fair amount of time and effort on your part but the rewards are numerous.
Remember the passion that anchored the writing of your book? It’s still there. Put it on full display at your live event and then hold onto your hat – good things will follow in quick order.
Black Card Solutions remains at your side as you begin and/or continue your author journey, offering a series of exclusive programs which will not only enhance and build upon your networking skills but show you how to put those skills to work to your full advantage.
Among the offerings is the Event Campaign that provides a complete road map for hosting a memorable brand-boosting event.
This campaign provides assistance in planning your live event and managing its set-up, specific tools you can use for before, during, and after your event, and offers training materials and video guides on how to further increase your credibility and marketing during your event.
Specific features of the campaign are:
- Design and creation of all your event-related materials.
- Event SQP (Squeeze Page) design and set-up including access to the CRM (Customer Relationship Management) System.
- A coaching call on planning your event that helps you identify your primary objective and target audience, and helps you set up your event, to be a resounding success.
- A full pre-event, during the event, and post-event checklist.
- The Selling From The Stage training module from Gerry Robert.
- Guidance on crafting your offer and analysis.
Our expert marketing team is fully equipped to design an impactful event. Their creative minds will make your event the success it deserves. They are also fully dedicated to review campaigns with you under our new Services Menu and together decide which package or packages are best!
Book your FREE and Exclusive coaching call today with our Marketing Consultant who works closely with Gerry, and see what remarkable and over-the-top platforms are suited to help you on your inspiring journey. Email email@example.com today!