* Eight Keys for High Ranking Pages *
1. TITLE: Your page title needs to contain the keywords that you are trying to get listed under while at the same time being interesting and exciting ad copy. Remember, your title tag will be what gets listed on people’s favorite places if they bookmark your site AND the title is the first thing they see when they are searching on the search engines. If they don’t like your title, they won’t click to your site.
2. KEYWORDS: Make sure your keywords are in the keyword meta tag. List all of them, but also be careful to make sure that none of the keywords gets listed more than two or three times total. Example: If your keywords are internet marketing, internet promotion, internet secrets, and internet tools; change them to internet marketing, promotion, secrets, internet tools.
3. DESCRIPTION: Make sure your keywords are in a 25 word description of your site…but at the same time remember that many of the search engines will also be list this description for your potential visitors to see…so it needs to sound inviting to get them to click through to your site.
4. COMMENTS: The comment tags aren’t used by all of the engines, but you should still include a short comment on your site full of some of the keywords. It could help you out on a couple of the search engines.
5. TEXT OF YOUR SITE: Your site needs to look attractive and list your keyword throughout the text. How often your keyword should be seen throughout the actual text is up for debate and is different on each engine, but it varies between 3% and 10% of your text. In other words, every 3 – 10 words out of a 100 on your site should be the keyword you are targeting most. This isn’t as easy to change on your main page, but it is something for you to really play with on your Doorway pages which we discuss below.
6. IMAGE TAGS: List your keywords once inside of an image which you have on your page to give you one more extra chance of being listed under those words. People will see these tags before your pictures become visible so make sure you use them in a sentence that makes sense and that you don’t just list them over and over (Spamming the search engine with them).
7. LINKS: Many of the search engines count the number of links coming to and from your pages and other sites linking to your site throughout the internet (This is another reason to trade links with as many sites as possible). So, link back and forth between your pages (This is a smart thing to do anyway so that people can go through your site simply and easily).
8: CREATE DOORWAYS OR LEAD PAGES: Sometimes, on some keywords, it just seems that you can’t get a Top 20 ranking no matter what you do with your main page. On these occasions (Which occur very often), create what is called a doorway page. These pages are specifically created with one or two keywords in mind and really focus on these words. These words are in your title, your keywords, your description, and your comment tags. They go inside of an alt image tag. And you make sure they are used on 3% – 10% of the page…sometimes as high as 15%. They should be around 3 – 5 paragraphs long and link back and forth between other lead pages you create for other keywords.